How can I find my first late husband’s Social Security number?


Q. How do I obtain my first late husband’s Social Security number? The Social Security office said I would get a larger payment from his work record instead of my second late husband’s.
— Single again

A. We’re sorry to hear about the loss of both of your husbands.

The first place to look is at any prior tax returns you filed together. His Social Security number would be on the old returns.

You can also check paperwork you may have for his investment accounts, health insurance or other financial documents.

It seems you’ve already been in touch with your local Social Security office, which can also help.

Bring a non-expired ID, your birth certificate, your marriage certificate and proof of termination of the marriage, such as a death certificate or divorce decree.

You can contact Social Security at (800) 772-1213 or find your local office here.

Email your questions to .

This story was originally published on Nov. 7, 2023. presents certain general financial planning principles and advice, but should never be viewed as a substitute for obtaining advice from a personal professional advisor who understands your unique individual circumstances.