How can I remove wrong information from my credit reports?


Q. My credit report shows delinquent payments from a charged off debt that was sold to a second lender and ultimately paid off in 2015. Six years have passed. Do I have options to remove the negative entry?
— Credit concerned

A. There are always options.

Your question wasn’t clear if the information being reported by the credit bureaus is actually wrong, or if it’s just negative.

If the information is accurate but negative, you’re going to have a tough time removing the items.

If the information is not accurate, the first step is to dispute the wrong information with the credit bureaus, said Karra Kingston, a bankruptcy attorney in Union City.

She said you should get a copy of a credit report from all three credit bureaus and compare them.

“Once you have compared the inaccuracy, you can send a letter to each of the three major credit bureaus — Equifax, TransUnion and Experian,” she said. “Make sure to include any evidence showing the account was paid.”

The credit bureaus have 30 days to respond.

If they don’t remove the item, you may be able to find a lawyer to help you file a lawsuit under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), which promotes the accuracy of credit reporting for consumers, Kingston said.

“Bring copies of all the letters written, credit reports and evidence the account was paid,” she said. “Once a lawyer reviews this information, they should be able to determine if you have a viable case.”

Email your questions to .

This story was originally published on June 8, 2020. presents certain general financial planning principles and advice, but should never be viewed as a substitute for obtaining advice from a personal professional advisor who understands your unique individual circumstances.