When your credit dispute is denied

Photo: pixabay.com

Q. I’ve filled out dispute forms to try to remove erroneous information from my credit report. The credit agencies sent me a letter saying they verified the information from the creditor so they can’t remove it. How are they able to take their word over mine? They haven’t shown me proof.
— Angry

A. There are specific rules the credit bureaus must follow when it comes to disputes.

When the bureaus finish an investigation, they are supposed to send you their findings in writing, said Beverly Harzog, a consumer credit expert and bestselling author.

“If they don’t think there’s an error, you can ask to have a notification of your dispute included in your future credit reports,” Harzog said.

She said because you haven’t seen any backup information, you can contact the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) or your state’s consumer affairs department and file a complaint, during which you can request a description of how the investigation was handled.

You can also go directly to your creditor and ask to see the documentation, Harzog said.

“If the error is significantly hurting your credit, consider getting a lawyer to help you sort this out,” she said.

Email your questions to .