How can I get help with the Senior Freeze application?


Q. How can I get help with the Senior Freeze application?
— Homeowner

A. There is help out there.

First, though, let’s go over this benefit.

The Senior Freeze reimburses eligible senior citizens and disabled persons for property tax increases.

The income limit to qualify went up this year so more people will be eligible. To qualify, 2022 income must be $150,000 or less and 2023 income must be $163,050 or less, the Treasury Department said.

There is no longer a requirement that you be a New Jersey resident for 10 years in a row to qualify.

To be eligible, you or your spouse or civil union partner must have been 65 or older on or before Dec. 31, 2022, or receiving federal Social Security disability benefit payments (not benefits received on behalf of someone else) on or before Dec. 31, 2022.

Homeowners must have owned and lived in their home since Dec. 31, 2019 or earlier, and still owned and lived in the home on Dec. 31, 2023. For homeowners, property taxes must have been paid by June 1, 2023, and the 2023 property taxes must be paid by June 1, 2024.

Mobile home owners must have leased a site in a mobile home park where they placed a manufactured or mobile home that they owned since Dec. 31, 2019 or earlier, and they must have lived in the home and leased the site on Dec, 31, 2023. Site fees must have been paid by Dec. 31 of 2022 and 2023.

Vacation homes, second homes and rental properties are not eligible for the benefit. Neither are homes that have more than four units or have more than one commercial unit.

Those who are completely exempt from paying property taxes or who make P.I.L.O.T. (payments-in-lieu-of-tax) payments are not eligible.

If you need help completing Form PTR-1, you can can call the Senior Freeze hotline at (800) 882-6597) or visit the Senior Freeze webpage.

“A lot of eligibility and filing-related questions can be answered online, but the hotline is always available if taxpayers need further assistance,” Treasury spokeswoman Danielle Currie said.

You can also make an appointment for in-person help at one of the agency’s Regional Information Centers.

Email your questions to .

This story was originally published in May 2024. presents certain general financial planning principles and advice, but should never be viewed as a substitute for obtaining advice from a personal professional advisor who understands your unique individual circumstances.