I got ANCHOR. What else can I do to lower property taxes?

Photo: pixabay.com

Q. I received the ANCHOR benefit, which was great. My property taxes are still too high. What else can I do?
— Homeowner

A. Outside of appealing your property taxes with your municipality, there’s not much.

But if you’re a senior or disabled, you can apply for the Senior Freeze.

“The Senior Freeze Program reimburses eligible senior citizens and disabled persons for property tax or mobile home park site fee increases on their principal residence (main home). To qualify, you must meet all the eligibility requirements for each year from the base year through the application year,” says the State Division of Taxation website.

It began mailing 2022 Senior Freeze blue booklets in mid-February.

“We mail PTR-2 booklets to eligible homeowners who applied last year and received reimbursement. In addition, we mail some eligible first time filers a PTR-1 application,” it says, noting that you can get a paper PTR-1 application and forms to remit supporting documents with a PTR-2 on the “Which Form to Use” page.

The deadline for 2022 applications is October 31, 2023.

Email your questions to .

This story was originally published on May 18, 2023.

NJMoneyHelp.com presents certain general financial planning principles and advice, but should never be viewed as a substitute for obtaining advice from a personal professional advisor who understands your unique individual circumstances.