The IRS rejected my Social Security number. What now?


Q. The IRS rejected my electronic submission saying my Social Security number belongs to a deceased person. New Jersey rejected my return because the IRS rejected it. Can I file in New Jersey using paper? The Social Security number on the return is correct. Attempts to correct this were futile.
— In trouble

A. You’re going to have to keep trying.

You should contact the Social Security Administration at (800) 772-1213 to determine if anything needs to be updated, said Robert Marvin, an IRA spokesman.

Social Security would then update any changes with the IRS.

Marvin said you should make sure you’re not a victim of identity theft. You can learn more here.

You can file a paper return to New Jersey, but you may face the same problem if your Social isn’t correct. You should make sure to fix that first.

If all else fails, you can ask for help from the Taxpayer Advocate at (877) 777-4778.

There’s also a taxpayer advocate in New Jersey at (609) 292-6400.

Email your questions to .

This story was originally published on April 13, 2022. presents certain general financial planning principles and advice, but should never be viewed as a substitute for obtaining advice from a personal professional advisor who understands your unique individual circumstances.