Helping mom with inherited house plans

Ask NJMoneyHelp

Photo: latemagnolia/

Q. My mother lets her brother live with her. Her plan is to leave her house to me. I’m worried that my uncle – who has no money – will not want to move out if I want to sell the house, which I probably will, because he probably can’t afford to pay rent. What do you suggest?
— Concerned

A. This could be a tough situation after your mom is gone.

You may want to consider getting a lawyer involved to help your mom with planning for her brother, if that’s her intention, said Stephen Craffen, a certified financial planner with Stonegate Wealth Management in Oakland.

“Life insurance on your mother, with your uncle as the beneficiary, could make cash available for rent/living expenses when your mother passes and he needs to find a new living arrangement,” Craffen said.

But you should get your mom on board for this discussion. Let’s hope she is willing to help make this easier for you when she’s gone.

Email your questions to moc.p1548252005leHye1548252005noMJN1548252005@ksA1548252005. presents certain general financial planning principles and advice, but should never be viewed as a substitute for obtaining advice from a personal professional advisor who understands your unique individual circumstances.